Friday, August 01, 2008

Reasons for Writing

While I'm admittedly pretty self-involved a lot of the time, that's not the (only) reason I decided to refresh this blog. I thought I'd share a few with you, if any of you are reading this.

To begin, I don't presume that anything I'm writing about is particularly interesting (now, anyway).  Actually, the more I write the more I realize I don't really enjoy my own writing style.  I'm hoping that as I write more often and about different subjects, it'll develop into something I can tolerate a bit more.  I don't anticipate ever really having a job where my colloquial writing style is necessary, but I would like to find my writing voice and have it match my personality.

In a few weeks (God willing... maybe months), I'll be leaving to go to Africa for the Peace Corps.  I still haven't gotten my invitation, but I'm expecting (hoping) to hear something pretty soon.  Once I leave, contact back home will be spotty at best.  There is a chance (however small) that I'll be able to write here about my experience and at least remind people that I'm still around in the world over the following 27 months.  I thought about waiting until something important happened in the application process to begin writing again, but I figured I'd end up writing one post and no others for months, as has happened so many times on this blog.  When something happens, I'll be sure to include it in a post, but I don't need it to be the focus of my writings just yet.

Finally, after applying to Peace Corps, I've realized how much I depend on my family and friends for support and advice in my life.  Regardless of how much I post here or how many letters I send and receive, I'm sure I'll be lonely in Africa.  I need to be able to process my feelings on my own, without constant feedback from my friends and family.  I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense to post those things on the internet, but I find it easier to consolidate my writings in one place.

Oh right; also everyone loves me, so of course they'd want to hear what I'm doing at all momens.  Clearly.

No comments: